Wednesday, April 4, 2012

A Trip to the McDonald's Office...and LOTS of Easter Eggs


Yesterday I got to do something extremely awesome thanks to my extremely awesome mom as I had the amazing opportunity of meeting the Vice President of Communications for the McDonald's U.K. office. My mom helped get me in contact with Nick as she had known him from a past trip to the U.K for work. I had been trying to find a time to meet him since I got here so I was so happy that we finally found a time that worked in his insanely busy schedule.

I was really curious to see what the McDonald's U.K. office would look like as I have been to the Oak Brook office many times. I had to snap a picture of the building as there were giant posters for the Olympics right at the entrance. It may have looked a little odd to the other people walking in but hey I'll deal.



Nick met me downstairs and brought me up to his office (which was about double the size of my flat). He shared many interesting stories about his career path in Public Relations and how he came to work for McDonald's. I truly enjoyed hearing about the communications controversies the company has faced in this country and how they were managed through communications. He also had some really interesting opinions about social media. I think my favorite analogy he used in regards to twitter was saying that some brands and people are like "disco dad" in that they don't know when to get off the dance floor...apparently the Brits use that phrase a lot.

I feel so lucky to have been given the opportunity to meet with such a well known and respected member of the communications field in the U.K. and I truly look forward to the opportunity of keeping in touch with him as I move forward in my career.

Now onto a completely unrelated subject...as we all know Easter is coming up, London  has been celebrating big by hosting the world's largest Easter egg hunt for the past few months in which 200 Faberge eggs have been placed all across the city. To bring the egg hunt to a close this week, all 200 Easter eggs have been moved to Covent Garden. As I've been snapping pictures of the eggs all over London I knew I had to check this out after work. I made my way over to Covent Garden which was jammed packed with egg seekers just like me and it was so neat seeing all the eggs located in one area.




But I'll have to say I think the best part of it all was finally seeing the "Where's Wally" egg. This egg was the only egg that moved around over the past few months and I had been quite unsuccessful at understanding the clues to find him. Since Covent Garden isn't that big it made the task of finding him that much easier. He's even become quite the famous egg appearing on multiple talk shows and sporting events the last few months.


So while I may not be victorious at the Easter egg hunt this year between me and my sister. I think finding 200 giant Easter eggs should count for something.

No comments:

Post a Comment