Saturday, April 14, 2012

Hallo von Deutschland!

I've made it to the land of liederhosen, beer and pretzels!

 I haven't been able to wipe the smile off my face since being here. As I've seen many places I've read about in German class since I was 13 this trip is nothing short of a dream come true for me.

We made it here bright and early Thursday morning and we have been doing nonstop sightseeing ever since.

One of my favorite sites have definitely been the Glockenspiel in Marienplatz. It may be the most touristy thing to see but it is still so quintesential German  that I cant help but love it.

The weather though hasn't been in our favor since being here. It has been pretty cold and raining on and off. We didn't let it damper our walk through the English Gardens yesterday.

Here is a fun fact for you..did you know that you can go surfing in the river in the English Gardens here in München? It's pretty hard core and definitely wasn't something I was expecting to see.

After our walk through the Gardens  we went to the most famous beer hall in the world, the Hofbrau Haus! I got my typical German beer with the giant pretzel to go along with it. The atmosphere in the hall is so lively and fun with people sharing conversations at the long tables as the umpa band is playing. We even managed to meet some people from London which is a story in itself.

But I must add that I went into the beerhall with the mission of finding someone in Leiderhosen to take a picture with...and let me tell you I didn't just find one I found a whole table of them! I wish I could post the picture to prove it because it is definitely picture frame worthy.

Today we ventured out of the city and took a day trip to Neuschwanstein Castle which is about 2 hours south of München. The castle is basically the real life Cinderella Castle from Disney World. It was quite a hike to get up to the castle as it was literally built on the side of a mountain. The journey did make for a good work out and quite an amazing photo opportunity. We were able to go in the castle for a tour which again looked like it came right out of a fairytale. Seeing the castle was another one of those sites that I've wanted to visit for ages so I feel so lucky that I was able to see it with my own two eyes today.

I'm about ready to catch some Zs but tomorrow will be another day packed with touring München and then we are off to Vienna on Monday!

Auf Wiedersehen 







No comments:

Post a Comment