Wednesday, April 18, 2012

2 More Countries Down!

These past few days have been nothing short of a whirlwind.

We touched down in Vienna two days ago and now I'm in Athens!

The first day in Vienna the rain seemed to follow us from Munich but luckily on our full day there we had clear skies.We packed in as much as possible starting off by visiting the Schonbrunn Palace. I had just read about the palace last year in my German class so it was really cool to see it for myself. It reminded me a lot of Versailles as it was quite expansive and had a gigantic garden. The garden even has the world's first zoo..who knew?

Afterwards we made our way back into the city center. This is when we became directionally challenged. It took us FOREVER to find the Kaffee Haus we were searching for but we eventually found it with some help from some nice locals. As I am quite the dessert fan I think I want to take all these coffee houses with fancy pastries back to Chicago with me...everything looked amazingly delicious. 

We then checked off the famous Opera House, St. Stephen's Cathedral and Motzart's House from our sightseeing list. Afterwards, we went out to see the famous Ferris Wheel of Vienna...not exactly sure why it is so important but seeing the amusement park area made me feel like I was in a European version of Disney World. The views of the city were pretty great as I didn't realize how mountainous the outer city was.

So to end our one and only full day in Vienna that meant one thing and one thing only...eat a ginormous piece of schnitzel! Wien is the German word for Vienna thus where Wiener Schnitzel comes from. I'll have to say it was quite delicious.

And this morning we were up bright and early to make our flight to Athens, Greece! The islands looked so beautiful from the plane and our hostel is in quite a good location as well as it is literally walking distance from the Acropolis. We checked out the Acropolis Museum today as it is free museum day here (woo!). 

We then walked around the city and I have to say it is just how I imagined it with the old worn buildings with the laundry hanging outside the windows and store vendors just hanging out on the street.

I really wish we had more time here but we are making sure we are getting our full day's worth. Our plan is to be up bright and early tomorrow and out the door at 8 a.m. to actually visit the Acropolis and then take a ferry to one of the islands close by. You can't take a trip to Greece and not get the picture perfect postcard views.

It's supposed to be sunny and 72 tomorrow so I am so ready to soak up this sun in this beautiful country!

No comments:

Post a Comment