Wednesday, April 25, 2012

A Fabulous Day in Florence

I think I'm starting to get used to this beautiful weather we have been having here in Italy.

Today was our first full day in Florence and I must say I absolutely love this city. As Florence is famous for both their gelato and pizza I don't think I need to say more.

Tomorrow we are visiting both the main art galleries in Florence so today we just wandered through the tiny cobblestone streets of the city. We started our morning by hitting up the famous leather market. It reminded me of being back in Morocco with the very distinct smell of leather present and all the vendors shouting "special price just for you." I am trying to keep my purchases to a minimum as I have to fit everything back into my carry on sized backpack but I'm thinking I might need to make room for that cute leather purse I saw.

We happened upon a food market as well and I was quite excited when I saw the lobster tail pastry! For those of you that watch Cake Boss you will know exactly what I'm talking about. It's basically a giant pastry shell filled with creme that is shaped like a lobster tail. I hadn't seen one in Italy till today so I am glad I can finally check off trying a lobster tail from my to do list.

This afternoon we also went to the Pizza de Michelangelo which was quite the climb up a steep hill. It was definitely worth the workout as the view of the city was absolutely amazing.  The bright orange and mustard yellow buildings with the vast greenery in the background definitely was the perfect Tuscan image.

After spending the rest of our day checking out different piazzas and markets in Florence the cherry on top of this great day was finding the best gelato shop in Florence (so Rick Steves says) called GROM. The organic gelato flavors on the menu were only listed in Italian so I'm not quite sure what flavors I had but I definitely know they were delicious!

Tomorrow I am off to see the statue of David and the Ufizi Gallery.

Ciao Bella!

No comments:

Post a Comment