Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Backpacking Trip Highlights

After a whirlwind of traveling these past few weeks I have made it back to London. So many great memories were made that I don't even know where to begin. So to give you the Reader's Digest version of my trip I'll share some of my favorite pics here.

Germany:
Visiting the most famous beer hall in the world, the Hofbrau Haus was just about as much fun as I imagined it would be. Eating the over sized pretzel and drinking beer while listening to the German band in the background was  the typical German experience I have been craving.
 I was  on a mission to take a picture with a guy wearing lederhosen and I knew the Hofbrau Haus was the place to look. As I saw a whole group of people in the traditional wear I knew I had to ask to take a  picture with them. They were so nice and I definitely think this picture is a finalist for best picture from the trip.


Vienna:

While we may have been directionally challenged in Vienna, making it to the Schonbrunn Palace was the one site that we managed to find a-ok. I had just read about the history of the palace last year in my German class so seeing it in person did not disappoint. The palace was quite expansive and reminded me a lot of Versailles with the gardens and never ending hallways and rooms. I didn't know much about the history of the Austrian monarchy before so I really enjoyed coming out of the palace knowing a little more.


Greece:

While seeing the Acropolis in Athens was pretty amazing, taking a spontaneous trip to the island of Aegina was one of my favorite parts of the entire 3 week trip. The hour boat ride out to the island made for some pretty spectacular views of all the different islands. When we got to the island we spent our time wandering around the tiny streets and eating lunch right on the water. Couldn't have asked for a more picture perfect day!


Italy:
We made 4 stops over 10 days in Italy which included Rome, Florence, Pisa and Venice. I enjoyed each city as much as the next but I might dare to say that Florence was my favorite. There was just enough to do there to keep you busy but it was quite fun to relax and stroll the streets...not to mention that the city had the best gelato!

Ready to throw our coins into the fountain.


Can't go to Pisa and not take this picture.

Finally found my lobster tail in Florence! It did not disappoint.

Enjoying a beautiful day in St. Mark's Square.

The heart became our go to picture pose (after being inspired by some creative tourists)
and GROM became our favorite gelato shop!

 As nerdy as it may sound I am now so invigorated to read up and learn more about the different places I've been to and their own unique history. I feel like the luckiest girl in the world for having the opportunity to experience so many different cultures and make so many amazing memories!


No comments:

Post a Comment