Friday, May 11, 2012

Barcelona: A Treat for the Senses


I must say I think I have a new contender for my favorite city that I've visited and it's Barcelona!
Everything was such a delight for the senses from the architecture, to the bright flowers and unique fruits sold in the market, to seeing the bright blue water of the sea (which was a nice change from the dreary London weather).

Over the course of the trip we visited and explored many of the famous architect, Gaudi's creations.

The Sagrada Familia Church was unlike anything I have ever seen. Seeing such an iconic church with the towers soaring high above me took my breath away. The interior was equally if not more amazing than the exterior that the photos really don't do it justice. It's still hard for me to grasp that this church is still a work in progress and isn't set to be completed until 2026, the 100th anniversary of Gaudi's death. It seems that all the famous churches in Europe are hundreds upon hundreds of years old so it's neat to think something so iconic and amazing will be completed in our lifetime.



After visiting the church we found another one of Gaudi's masterpieces, the Casa Batllo. The building itself is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and there is absolutely no question as to why. Going inside this architectural gem made me feel like I had been transported to a different world. There doesn't seem to be a straight line anywhere in the building as all the windows, doors, and supports are curved in some way. The rooftop terrace was my favorite part as the bright tiled roof in many ways resembled fish scales, and bright white curves felt like being in an underwater escape. 








I could go on and on about all the different Gaudi sites that we saw but another one of my other favorite experiences was visiting the food market. There was such a wide assortment of fruits, meats, and other goodies that I had never even seen before. There were fruit drinks that came in every imaginable color and sea creatures that looked ready to climb off the stands.


I tried a couple of different types of fruit from the market. The first one caught my eye as it was bright pink. It didn't have much of a taste but I'm still glad I gave it a try. My friend Vethina then insisted that we had to try the prickly rumbaton fruit that looked more like a sea urchin to me than something edible. I'm all for trying new foods and I must say it was quite delicious and sweet! I should add that you luckily peel of the prickly shell and don't eat that part.





I absolutely love how travel allows you to try new things and experience new sites.

I think it's safe to say that I have caught the travel bug!


No comments:

Post a Comment