Saturday, May 5, 2012

More London Adventures


Being back in London this week has definitely given me more time to cross some things off  my "To Do List" before I head back home in just a few weeks.

For starters, my friend and I had booked tickets awhile back to take a tour of Wimbledon and we finally got around to going on the tour this past Friday. I honestly don't know that much about tennis but it was really interesting learning a bit more about the tournament. I was even educated on all that goes into cutting the grass here and let me tell you the practice of cutting grass in tennis is quite intense.

And here's a fun fact for you!

Wimbledon itself functions as an exclusive tennis club with only 500 members when it is not hosting the tournament. To become a member you have to apply and have 4 current members recommend you. Once you've been recommended there is a waiting list with over 1,000 people on it. The tour guide wouldn't say how much it costs to be a member but she said it was surprisingly lower than you would guess and that it is more about how talented you are which is pretty cool.

Center Court
The Press Room

And while the weather has been cold and rainy here it hasn't slowed me down! Today I was able to cross off another thing from my To Do List as I finally tried a doughnut from St. John's Bakery. Eating a doughnut may seem like an odd thing for a to do list but I was told about these famous creations from Check, Please! host Alpana Singh awhile back. I checked out their website which said they only opened shop on Saturday mornings at a small market stand so I figured they must be quite the treat.

When we arrived on the street my map assured me it is located on I was starting to think my directions were wrong. The street was quite empty with a few market stalls and random shops placed inside little archways under the train tracks. I felt like such the local though when we finally found the bakery that is definitely not your typical tourist destination.

The creme filled doughnut was quite delicious and I'm thinking my friend (who is equally obsessed with desserts) and I will have to stop back again before we head back home to the states.




 Tomorrow I am off to my very first football match here in the U.K. which I am quite excited about. My friend who I met up with earlier this year from Birmingham was able to get us second row seats for Fulham's final game. I don't know much about Fulham but I can assure you I'll be rooting for them.

Then after that I am off to Spain for a few days this week! Lets see how many people I can meet that share the same last name as me.

No comments:

Post a Comment