Sunday, March 25, 2012

Appreciating the Little Things

While these past few months have been filled with tons of sightseeing and crossing things off my to do list, this last week has reminded me that sometimes it's the little things that count.

Thursday night I made an American style meal for my flatmates that included hot dogs, french fries, corn on the cob and the all important apple pie. I'm not gonna lie I was a little nervous to make the meal as the extent of my cooking since being here has been using the microwave and mastering the art of the sandwich. I enlisted the help of my flatmate Varala who showed me a thing or two about how to chop an onion and a tomato.
I'm happy to say the dinner was a hit. We all cleared our plates pretty darn fast so maybe I'll have to keep up with this cooking thing...maybe.




The weather in London these past few days has been nothing short of amazing. So Friday I knew I absolutely had to sit outside for my lunch break at work. I stopped in McDonald's to grab something when my day was made when I saw the Cadbury Cream Egg McFlurry added to the menu. I got my McFlurry to go (which was as amazing as it sounds by the way) and found a place by the Thames to sit in the sun. As I looked out at the London Eye and Big Ben I had to pinch myself to remember how lucky I am to be living in London and working in one of the top PR firms in the city.



After work I was was off to the Midlands for the weekend to visit my friend Megan I met last year as my instructor for a 5k training class I took at DePaul. She moved to England this past year as her husband Andy is from Brierley Hill. I really enjoyed getting to meet another local who I could ask all my random questions about England to and meet up with a fellow Chicagoan to swap our crazy culture encounter stories.

Saturday we took a day trip out to the small town of Iron Bridge. We drove through the quintessential countryside with the rolling hills and sheep everywhere in sight.

The town was adorable with little mom and pop shops and a walking path right along the river. We explored the town for the day and made a very necessary stop at the cupcake shop Queenies. And I'll say my banoffee cupcake did not disappoint!





We made it back in Brierley Hill in the afternoon just in time so Megan and I could go to her yoga class she teaches on Saturday afternoons. I was definitely a little rusty as I haven't done yoga in about a year now...but I made it work! 

 Later that night we met up with a few of Andy's friends at THE most unique pub I have seen since being here. It's called the Crooked House where as you can bet everything is crooked. It really makes you feel like you're drunk before you've even had a drink in you...It really is a drunk person's nightmare as you could imagine.



I can't thank Megan and Andrew enough for being so welcoming this last weekend and giving me a taste of a different part of England!

So after this week I'm trying to remind myself that experiencing new things doesn't have to be all about checking things off my to do list but counting the little moments as well.




No comments:

Post a Comment