Sunday, March 18, 2012

A Multicultural St. Patty's Day

While I may not have participated in the typical college fashion of St. Patrick's day yesterday I'll have to say I'm pretty sure my festivities of yesterday were just as interesting, entertaining and fun!

My friends and I had quite the multicultural holiday as we went to a local Chinese restaurant where I had Dim Sum for the first time. I tried to be educated on how to properly use chopsticks for about the 10th time but it was still a major fail.

Even though I may not have eaten my dim sum properly it was quite delicious either way....I guess this means I'll just have to wait till I come home for Maxine Loh to teach me how to use chopsticks. (wink wink, nudge nudge).



After dinner we went to the grocery store to pick up the ingredients to make our own Shamrock Shakes and butter beer (Harry Potter style). We were able to find almost everything we needed except for the all important ingredient of butterscotch for the butter beer so needless to say that just didn't end up happening.

But the Shamrock Shakes were quite a hit if I do say so myself. They were so much easier to make than I thought they would be as the recipe only required milk, ice-cream and peppermint extract   and of course some green food coloring for a St. Patty's day touch. The whip cream was a bit more of a struggle to make as we didn't have a mixer but we still made it work.

I've also discovered that they don't have Shamrock Shakes here at McDonald's which is just blasphemy to me so it was a nice touch of home for St. Patrick's day.


To continue on with our multicultural theme we had some tasty pie made from Daim chocolate that my friend Vethina and I have become obsessed with since our trip to Stockholm last weekend...needless to say we had to educate Natalie on the amazingness that is Daim chocolate and we we're pleased to find that she agreed :)




It may not have been a Chicago St. Patrick's Day celebration but I will have to say that it was definitely one of the most fun nights I've had since being here.

*Thanks to Natalie Burdett for letting me use her pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment