Monday, March 5, 2012

Me and my mum in London

Where to begin, where to begin...

This last week here in London was definitely one of my favorites by far. It's strange how a mom can make everything so special and exciting but it all just felt like a fantastic vacation.

I stayed down in the city with my mom for the week in the Marylebone neighborhood. It was definitely nice to get out of Harrow for the week and get back to city living.

Last week I may have played hookie for a few classes to spend extra time with my mom but I still had to go to work. So with only so much time we made sure to use our time as best as we could.

Tuesday morning we were up bright and early to visit Madame Tussuad's. It pretty much is the epitome of touristy but I'll be the first to admit that it has been one of my favorite sights. It was fun rubbing elbows with the celebrities even if they were made of wax. I left wondering what it would be like to see them in person as I could have used a chill pill a few times just getting excited over the wax versions.



Later that afternoon me and my mom went to the Connaught Hotel for afternoon tea. I'm pretty sure it was the highlight of the week for the both of us as the restaurant was beautiful and everything was  delicious too I might add. From the finger sandwiches to scones to the tiny desserts every bite was way too good. We left so full but I will say it was o so worth it.




Wednesday we then continued our sight seeing adventures and visited the Natural History Museum. There was probably about a bajilion little kindergartners running around everywhere but British 5 year olds here are for some reason so much cuter and well behaved. The building itself was just about as cool as all the artifacts in the museum. There really could have been an exhibit about the building itself it was so beautiful.



After visiting Harrods, the Royal Mews and then the Queen's Gallery we went over to Soho to see the musical Matilda. The show was absolutely adorable and I still can't stop myself from humming the songs. I've recently heard that the show will be making its way to Broadway in New York and I can bet you that it will be a hit.





Thursday I took my mom out to the burbs  to show her where I live. It probably took about all of an hour as there wasn't much to show besides my room and the infamous Sainsbury grocery store. Friday I had work all day but we took advantage of the late night museum hours as we went to both the Tate Britain and Victoria and Albert Museum. The V&A had a special exhibit with photos from the Queen's early years including her wedding and coronation. I've come to have a real interest in anything royal related since being here so I'm glad we were able to check it out.

And on our last full day together on Saturday we packed in lots of sights. We went out to Greenwich which has a small town feel even though it is still technically located in Greater London. My mom and I did some market shopping and I was so excited to find a vintage scarf commemorating the Queen's coronation from the 50s. We  enjoyed lunch at the Trafalgar's Tavern where Charles Dickens himself once dined at and visited the Royal Naval College and other spots in the town.



We then went over to the Portobello Road Market and afterwards road the London Eye at night which offered some pretty cool views of the city to top off a great week.


 
I'll admit it was hard to say goodbye to my mom yesterday but I feel so lucky that she was able to come visit me here in London and experience the city with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment