Monday, January 9, 2012

This girl made it to London...and finally has a working computer!

I've made it to day three here in London still a little jetlagged, overwhelmed and mostly excited to be here!



I arrived bright and early Saturday morning at Heathrow Airport where I met my study abroad advisor to arrange a taxi ride for me and other students to get to our dorm at the Harrow Campus. I was a little anxious when I got in the cab as I really wasn't sure what my new home for the next five months would be like as I knew going into this that it would be outside of central London.

When the taxi pulled up in front of my dorm I met another CEA advisor who helped me get settled into my room and gave me and a few other girls from the program a tour of the neighborhood. When I initially saw my room my spoiled American self was a little taken aback. The bathroom is quite tiny and looks about the size of my closet and my closet probably will only hold a fraction of all the clothes I've brought. On the bright side, I have a single room and get to share a common kitchen area with my "flatmates." I've met three of them so far and they're all from England and seem very nice so I'm really excited to get to know them.

Anyways, the neighborhood around my dorm feels very much like a suburb. There aren't too many restaurants I've found walking distance from my dorm besides Subway. I have a feeling I'll be "eating fresh" this semester. But there is a giant grocery store close by called Sansbury, which I've already had to take multiple trips to. Maybe I'll actually have to learn to cook? *GASP*

Yesterday I had my study abroad orientation where we took a walking tour around one of the downtown campus. I saw the premiere for the movie War Horse being set up and I even heard Prince William and Catherine were attending so I need to start figuring out when those two will be making more public appearances! Afterwards, I enjoyed my first afternoon tea and loved all the little finger sandwiches, desserts and of course the tea.




There is so much more I wish I could post about but I really need to get my classes situated for registration tomorrow. I'm so glad I have my computer up and running now and I can't wait to keep you all updated with my new experiences in London!

2 comments:

  1. Lisa, Sounds like you are already having a wonderful time with some exciting experiences! Can't wait to read your next post! I absolutely love your "to do" list. I already know you'll work hard - just remember to have some fun too!

    BTW ... Pumpkin says she misses you! ;-)

    ~Barb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Barb! I feel like I've had so many experiences already and I've only been here a few days.

    P.S. Tell pumpkin she will always be my favorite chorkie..I think I just like to say chorkie

    ReplyDelete