Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Registering for classes and wandering around London


Today was another fun and busy day here across the pond in London.

I had my class registration appointment at 9:30 this morning at the downtown Regent Street Campus. I was a little stressed out about getting my classes all situated since I was having a hard time finding a fourth class for my schedule that counted towards my degree at DePaul, in the right time slot and  located at the right campus.

I took the tube all by myself for the first time this morning which I honestly enjoyed. It was kinda empowering to see that I could figure out how to get there myself and not manage to get lost. Plus I got to feel like a local student just on their way into the city.

My advising appointment went much smoother than I thought it would go. I was able to reorganize my class schedule a little bit so I'm now taking Advertising and Promotional Culture, a Sociology class, my internship class and Creative Writing about London. I'm most excited for my creative writing class as there are excursions included in the class such as to the theater and museums!

After my advising appointment me and a few friends just wandered around the city for most of the day. We knew we wanted to make our way over to Big Ben but it was quite the long walk. I've honestly come to enjoy just wandering aimlessly here as you never know what you're going to find. Each street has something completely different and exciting from the last. From Oxford Street we made our way to Trafalgar Square and then to the House of Parliament. I think it finally hit me that I'm really studying abroad in London once I got to see Big Ben up close. We then went inside to hear the House of Lords speak. There surprisingly weren't too many members of Parliament present but I definitely enjoyed seeing the ornate designs inside the Parliament building and of course count how many people were sleeping (believe me there were quite a few). I'm hoping to see the House of Commons speak one time while I'm here as I know they usually cover more interesting and important issues.

It was a long day so me and my friends all just made it back to our dorms. Tomorrow I have my general internship orientation with the coordinator from University of Westminster.

 Things are finally starting to fit into place which is definitely getting me excited for getting into a routine here.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment