Monday, January 16, 2012

First Day at TogoRun PR


Yesterday I played freshman in college all over again as I went into the city to have a trial run at getting to my internship and my classes located at the Regent Street Campus. Google Maps has become my best friend since being here so I was able to find both locations fairly easy. My internship office is located on "The Strand" literally right next to the famous Savoy hotel and a few minutes walk from Covent Gardens, so not a bad location if you ask me.

Over the next 12 weeks I'll be interning for TogoRun PR which is a small PR agency that specializes in health care and pharmaceutical PR. They have offices located in London, New York and Washington D.C. Their  parent company is Fleishman Hillard which is a very well known and respected PR firm so I definitely get the feeling that I'm at a great place.

 When I arrived there this morning I was greeted by 12 new smiling faces eager to help me get acclimated to my new job. They start off every Monday with a team meeting to go over what needs to be done for the week and delegate tasks. They even invited me to the office party in Chinatown happening next week for Chinese New Years so I'm already excited for that!
I've been placed on the Bristol Myers Squibb account which is a global pharmaceutical company. I honestly came into this internship not knowing too much about health care and pharmaceutical companies so I think this is overall going to be an interesting learning opportunity. The BMS team at Togo is currently working on an educational, interactive PDF resource for people with hepatitis B. Its a big project so I definitely think I'll be spending a majority of my time on it.

Later in the afternoon I headed over to the Fleishman Hillard office right down the street to meet with someone from HR. I was happy to learn that they seem to really want to make sure I get the most out of my internship. The HR staff expressed their willingness to set up a meeting or coffee for me if I'd like to get to know someone from a certain account to learn more about what they do.

O and how can I forget, I received the great news that my internship will pay for my lunch and monthly Student Oyster Card (aka UPASS) that cost me a hefty 112 pounds today! *Insert jumping up and down with excitement here*

I start my first day of classes tomorrow so I'm really anxious to see what the class structure will be like here. I realize I haven't been in school in almost 2 months so this is going to be interesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment