Saturday, January 21, 2012

A blustery day trip to Stonhenge and Bath

Today was a long day packed with sightseeing!

Me and my study abroad group met at the bright and early hour of 8am to make our way to Stonehenge and Bath for the day. I had gone to Stonehenge last year when I was in London on vacation with my family but didn't get to Bath then so I was definitely excited to see a new part of England.

When we left London I thought we were actually going to have a pretty nice day weather wise but I was sadly mistaken. As soon as I got off the bus at Stonehenge I felt as though I had been sucked into a wind tunnel. Trying to take pictures and listen to the audio guide while your eyes are watering up and getting your hair blown all around made it really difficult. It also made it hard to appreciate the amazing site that is Stonehenge as getting back onto the warm bus was more of my concern at that point. So I guess I can say I'm lucky that I had been there before when I had the willpower to actually listen to audio guide and not race around the stones.


The bus ride then to Bath was  really enjoyable. We got to see much of the countryside of England which included cute little cottages, pastures, and lots and lots of sheep.

When we made it to the town our tour guide was nice enough to keep the walking in the hurricane winds to a minimum and rather showed us much of the town from the bus. We all got out though at the Royal Crescent which was a massive and beautiful building. This one building alone has 30 houses and 114 giant Columns (at least so the back of my postcard tells me).


Afterwards, we were only allowed an hour of free time to explore the city before we had to make our way to the Royal Bath House. The one hour really wasn't that much time to do any major sightseeing which was a bummer. Though I should mention, me and my friends had the traditional Cornish Pasties for lunch as our tour guide had suggested. I would describe it as basically  a calzone with steak and potatoes inside which was pretty good. But the fact that it was warm was much appreciated. We then stumbled upon the Jane Austen Museum and were again bummed out that we really didn't have enough time to go into the museum and make it back to the baths in time. We did however get to sneak into the Abbey for a little bit of time. The church was absolutely gorgeous both inside and out so I was happy that we decided to take a peak in even if it was only for a few minutes.


The highlight of my day was without a doubt being able to see the ancient Roman Bath. I learned that this bath house is the only ancient one left in the entire world that is still filled with water. We were allowed to sit on the edge of the water just as the Romans once did, making it that much more fun to take it all in. The interesting end to the tour was being able to taste the hot spring water. It reminded me of tasting really bad well water. So while it was really pretty to look at the water, stay away from drinking it!


No comments:

Post a Comment